Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nothing replaces human contact

  If you want to get a hold of me I can be reached by email,text message, Instant message, facebook message,skype, twitter, myspace message, Snail mail, land line , Cell Phone, or homing Pigeon

Seems familiar doesn't it.

  Technology has added so many tools to the selling process that I think we sometimes under value good old fashioned face to face contact.

  As a sales person this method should rank an Overwhelming first place, in your preferences of contact.


- IT BUILDS RAPPORT
  
    Face to face conversation gives the customer a "sense" of who you are. They hear the sincerity in your voice, they see the concern in your eyes.  They decide if you are a person that they can connect with, and  they act on these feelings.

- IT FOSTERS TRUST

    For those of you relying heavy on email for your initial contact, let me remind you that the Nigerian schemers and the Phishers, and the Spammers are playing in that same arena.  As consumers we have become accustomed to being suspicious of email offers.  There are many reasons to meet a prospect face to face , but most importantly it fosters trust.
  A firm handshake, eye contact, a warm smile and some focused time.  These are the initial building blocks to a trust centered business relationship.  What replaces a handshake?

  Last week I contacted the largest car dealership in our area via email to set an appointment to test drive a new Ford Edge.  I received the auto response, "A salesperson will be in touch". 
 Within an hour I received an email from a Salesperson, he confirmed the Car was in stock, and asked when we might meet.  I called him on the phone and told him I would be there in an hour.

  When I arrived at the dealership the salesperson was working with a young couple, and I figured they were very early in the process. ( still picking out a car to drive) 
  I told the Receptionist that I would return in 2 hours , and please let the sales person know that I understood he was busy. 
  I called the salesperson  prior to my return and confirmed my arrival.   Upon my return  I was informed my sales person, was again unavailable ,
  I may very well have liked this sales person, had I met him
   There is a better than good chance I would have shown more understanding if I were invested in him, or felt he was invested in me.
  Certainly by working at a dealership myself, I understand that things happen. But I had no reason to commit further in this process. 

So whats my point ?

  Had the sales person put value on human contact, when I confirmed my appointment, he would have set aside the time to meet with me. 
 Even if he was busy unexpectedly, A  few short moments to shake my hand, and inform me of this,  would have strengthened our rapport tremendously.
  I did however receive an email from the dealership thanking me for coming in.


Sell like your living depends on it

Donnie

No comments:

Post a Comment